IO-Link is a worldwide open-standard peer-to-peer serial communication protocol (IEC 61131-9) that allows sensors and actuators to easily integrate into The Connected Enterprise. Through IO-Link you can access all sensor configuration parameters, process
data and diagnostics. You can go beyond detecting products on your machine – now you can MONITOR your machine‘s health as it runs. Plus, IO-Link simplifies setup and commissioning while offering enhanced flexibility for your current – and future – processes.
Easy and compatible (universal)
The connection between IO-Link master and device is established via a max. 20 m long, unscreened 3-wire cable. The wiring is standardised on the basis of M5, M8 and M12. The vast majority of IO-Link devices is equipped with M12 connectors which can be used without any restrictions for IO-Link’s switching mode and communication mode. Each port of an IO-Link master is capable of processing binary switching signals and analogue values (e.g. 8 bits, 12 bits, 16 bits). Serial IO-Link communication takes place via the same port. Easy wiring, automated parameter setting and extended diagnosis are but a few advantages of IO-Link.
High functionality (smart)
As a standard, 2 bytes of process data are available per cycle. The transmission between IO-Link master and device takes 400 μs at a speed of 230 kBaud. The user can also choose larger frame types. Therefore, greater process data with up to 32 bytes length can also be transmitted at a correspondingly lower cycle time. To ensure that the parameter data of a device are not lost when replacing a device, they can be automatically stored directly in the IO-Link master. If a new, identical substitution device is connected, the parameters of the previous device are automatically transferred onto the new device.
How Does IO-Link work?
Smart sensors featuring embedded IO-Link act the same as the standard I/O sensors you’re already using until connected to a master. But by interfacing these sensors with an IO-Link master, you can access all the advanced data and configuration capabilities
IO-Link has to offer. This means you have the flexibility to install smart sensors as standard I/O today and activate IO-Link functionality later – whenever and wherever you want it – without having to install costly new wiring or sensors.
Allen-Bradley IO-Link Enabled Products
- Enable connection of up to eight devices (IO-Link enabled or standard I/O)
- POINT I/O™ master for in-cabinet (IP20)
- ArmorBlock™ version for on-machine (IP67) applications
- Timestamp functionality in ArmorBlock model provides visibility to sensor data for better quality metrics
- Notifies system when lens is dirty
- Parameter changes supported through controller during line/tool changes for flexible manufacturing (e.g. set points)
- Indication of sensor signal strength for monitoring machine wear and tear
- Locking options are available to lock local settings when operating in IO-Link mode, and therefore any user changes will not change the settings of the sensor.
- Margin status helps optimize sensor installation for best performance
- Monitor the distance to detected targets (detect machine wear and tear)
- Immediate indication of damaged sensing element
- Application-specific names help the user quickly locate the sensor on the machine.
Pressure and Temperature Sensors
- Actual Pressure and Temperature values available at the controller
- Change set points via controller when process changes are needed
- Use controller to adjust parameters and use local display for current values
- Configure sensor data units (i.e. PSI or bar for pressure sensors)
Additional IO-Link Resources
- Smart Sensors sensor-br002_-en-p
- Smart Sensors with IO-Link iolink-br001_-en-p
- 871tm-pp002_-en-p – Long Range Inductive Proximity Sensors
- 871c-pp001_-en-p – Miniature Inductive Sensors
- 45lms-pp002_-en-p – Laser Measurement Sensor
- 45crm-pp002_-en-p – Color Registration Mark Sensors
- 42jt-pp002_-en-p – VisiSight Photoelectric Sensors
- 42ef-pp002_-en-p – RightSight Photoelectric Sensors
- 1734-pp001_-en-p – 4 Channel IO-Link Master Module