Rockwell Automation recently released their latest ControlLogix® redundancy firmware kit for Studio 5000 Version 31. We’ll cover what ControlLogix controllers currently support redundancy, and what versions of RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 would be needed.
5580, L8x Controller Redundancy
At the time of this article’s posting, the new 5580, L8x controllers do not support redundancy. Redundancy for these controllers is in development, and is expected in a future release of Studio 5000.
5570, L7x Controller Redundancy
5570, L7x controller redundancy is currently supported in these versions of RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000:
- RSLogix Version 20 (20.058 latest release)
- Studio 5000 Version 24 (24.053 latest release)
- Studio 5000 Version 30 (30.051 latest release)
- Studio 5000 Version 31 (31.052 latest release)
5560, L6x Controller Redundancy
The 1756-L6x controllers have been discontinued by Rockwell Automation, but they do support redundancy in these versions of RSLogix 5000:
- RSLogix 5000 Version 20 (20.058 latest release)
- RSLogix 5000 Version 19 (19.053 latest release)
- RSLogix 5000 Version 16 (16.081 latest release)
- RSLogix 5000 Version 15 (15.61 latest release, L61, L62, L63 only)
- RSLogix 5000 Version 13 (13.71 latest release, L61, L62, L63 only)
Where to find the redundancy firmware kits and release notes?
All ControlLogix firmware redundancy kits and release notes are available for download from the Product Compatibility and Download Center (PCDC) on Rockwell Automation’s website – https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/home.aspx.
Choose Find Downloads, and enter the CPU part number, or “redundant” in the search box. A list of available downloads will appear.
Want to learn more about ControlLogix Redundancy? Here are some additional resources.
- Logix Learning Series Podcast: Redundancy
- ControlLogix Redundancy User Manual
- ControlLogix Redundancy Update and Module Replacement
Guidelines Reference Manual
- ControlLogix: Redundancy Firmware Bundle Revision History – Complete list (TechConnect login required)
Looking for more information?
Contact your local automation specialist or account manager at The Reynolds Company to discuss your automation applications. Find your specialist.